Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tutorial Tuesday

I don't know that I will make this a regular thing, but for at least this Tuesday, I'm going to offer a fun, free tutorial. I'm still going through piles and piles of my stash, trying to use everything up. I have WAY too much stuff. I started making these little flowers on Sunday as part of a banner that I am making for one of Hazel's Christmas gifts. They are so fun, cute AND totally addictive! Plus, they use up lots of left-over bits you'll have lying around. So, let's get started, shall we?

Start off with a piece of fabric...any fabric...cut to 5" square.

Fold it in half on the diagonal.

Fold it in half again.

And, again.

Now, using a *sharp* (that's A LOT of fabric you're cutting through...pull out the good snippers!) pair of scissors to cut the folded fabric into a petal shape.

You'll end up with something that looks like this:

And, when you open the fabric up, it will look like this:

Now, take a large brad (these are the 18mm size from Bazzill). It doesn't matter what color the brad is...you're not going to see it. Put a glue dot smack-dab in the middle of that sucker.

Position the brad in the center on the BACK side of the fabric. Press down so that it adheres firmly.

Go hunt through your daughter's drawer for some tiny rubber bands. Don't have kids? You can buy a box of these in the hair care isle of the grocery store for pretty cheap. They need to be SMALL rubber bands, otherwise the band will hang out the sides. We don't want that. It wouldn't look as pretty. ;0) Anyway, fold the fabric back over the brad; secure with the rubber band.

Kinda' looks like a shuttlecock for badminton, huh? Wrap that rubber band as many times as it takes to get it tight around the brad. Now, you should have something that looks like this on the front:

And, this on the back:

You'll have to tug on the edges of the fabric, and fiddle with it until you get the flower to look just the way you want it. After you get it looking all pretty and proper, go ahead and get to decorating. First, I started with a felt Prima flower. Cut a slit halfway up the middle of the flower.

Then, wrap it around the center of the flower, and secure with a dot of hot glue. You should have something that looks like this:

Then, I took a softie charm from KI Memories, and adhered it to the center of the flower using a little hot glue.

Add a pretty little jewel on top with another dot of hot glue.

Voila! A pretty little flower. Bend the back prongs of the brad if you intend to glue the flower in place like I do. Or, punch it through your paper, then secure the prongs:

Here is another one I made.

Fun. Addictive. Pretty. I'll try to come up with something for next week. Maybe I can do a fun little tutorial every week. We'll see. Here's a little peek at my LO for the next prompt at So Tell Me Your Story. Stay tuned on August 1st for this challenge:

I've been so insanely busy the last couple of days. I had a ton of deadlines pile up all at once, and I'm desperately trying to bang them out. I got 2 projects picked up for publication, so I have been writing up all of the instructions, supply lists and getting them ready to ship off to the publisher. You'll have to wait a few months for details on that. It's hush-hush. ;0) Other than project deadlines, I painted half of our deck (it got up in the 100's again, so I had to take a break from being outside for a couple of days). We've already started planning the Halloween party, and out annual Thanksgiving dinner that we host for the single soldiers and a couple of our married friends. I got to skip out on that last year since the guys were deployed. But, people have already been asking if we are going to have another one this year. I was only planning on a couple of people coming this year, but it looks like we'll have WAY more than a couple. Eek! Busy, busy, busy...and it's only Tuesday!

25 comments:

Melonie said...

OH I LOVE those flowers! I am so going to have to give them a try!! Have I told you lately how much YOU ROCK?!? Have a great week.

scrappermimi said...

Those flowers are just the cutest! So fun and dimensional! And your sneak...will be well worth the wait I think!

Mel G said...

Great flower tutorial!! Thanks so much for taking the time to write that up for us. Can't wait to see the projects that you are preparing for publication!!

Kara said...

Hey, Holly! LOVE your blog. I am so happy I found it! What a wealth of information and color.

Thanks so much for the info on my blog about Parsons. It looks amazing and I was wondering if you had more information about the school? I couldn't tell if you attended it or not.

Drop me an email at karahaupt @ gmail.com

Thank YOU so much! Have a lovely day!

~just me said...

damnit i wish i was there so i could help you party plan (& then party of course!) sigh

Gigi said...

um...GENIUS!!!!!!
love this little flower...must.make.some :)

xoxo

gi

Jacquie said...

Those flowers are the coolest!! I think I may have to make some!

Shaun said...

OH MY GOSH! I LOVE THIS TUTORIAL!!!!!!! Even though it is 11:30pm, I am going upstairs to see what fabric I have and give this a try. Thank you for sharing and I hope you find time to do more tutorials. Congrats on the publications! I cannot wait to hear more about them.
Have a groovy week!
Shaun
www.roomswithaview.typepad.com

dani said...

Oh my gosh! you busy busy girl! Love this tutorial! I gotta save it!

danijohnston.typepad.com/dj

Ginajam said...

You never cease to amaze...those flowers are so dang cute and I'm gonna make a bunch!! Thanks for doing the tutorial. Yay on the pub work...how long do we have to wait??? Take it easy girl...I wish I had half your energy!

KhrisW said...

Most impressive. Love the flower tutorial and congratulations on the publications! You're awesome.

Cathy De Los Santos said...

holly,
those are toooooo cute i love tutorial tuesdays LOL. And love the sneak peek can't wait to see what the rest of it looks like.

mushroommeadows said...

Wow! It's so wonderfully cute!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial! Love these flowers!

Michelle said...

I know, a backpack is way under what I normally pack to go anywhere. I'm already having second thoughts about that idea. I adore the little flower tutorial. I can't wait to see the banner you are making.

Love the sneaks too. Congrats on the publishing. I can't believe you are already planning your Halloween and Thanksgiving party. I'm way behind in my planning if I was going by your schedule!

The "harry potter tree" will be up on Friday morning. <3

Arlene Camacho said...

wow, such pretty flowers!!!! Thanks for sharing!

congrats on getting pubbed!

mushroommeadows said...

I received your CHRISTMAS HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! I feel so incredibly lucky, you don't even know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're the BEST!!! :)

metrochic said...

i found you through gigi kennedy and THANKS GI! because this rocks. such a great, simple idea that i will certainly be giving a try! YAY!

Melaniestan said...

Thank you for posting that flower tutorial. It's awesome. I can't wait to use it.

kilismom said...

These are incredibly beautiful!! You are unbelievably crafty!! Thanks for the tutorial. :)

kilismom said...

These are sooo beautiful!! Wish I could be as crafty as you are...thanks for the tutorial!! :)

Fiona Carter said...

Holly, these are so cute, the fabric is very pretty. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Fiona x

Kylie Bowers said...

Oh wow beautiful!

Anonymous said...

OK, how cute!!!

Tanyah Payne said...

How adorable are these flowers! WOW your so clever! Love SOOO MUCH!!!
Luv Tanxx