Wednesday, December 10, 2008

For the birds...

Here's a fun little activity to keep the kids busy during Christmas break. And, something to keep them from asking "How much longer until Santa comes?" for at least an hour. Handmade treats for your feathered friends outdoors...

You'll need:

* Several slices of bread
* Holiday cookie cutters (we used snowflakes)
* A plastic straw
* Baker's twine
* Peanut butter
* Mixed bird seed

Step 1:

Use cookie cutters to cut shapes from your bread slices:





Step 2:

Use the straw to poke a hole at the top of the shaped bread. This will be where you tie the twine through for hanging.



**After Step 2, you must allow the bread to sit out for several hours until it hardens (I left it out overnight and started Step 3 the next morning).

Step 3:

Tie the twine through the hole, and coat each shape with peanut butter.



Step 4:

Once all the "ornaments" are coated in peanut butter, dip them in the birdseed. I feed birds regularly throughout the year, and always keep a supply of seed in a large plastic tub. I just dipped the ornaments directly into the tub. You could also pour some seed onto a plate, and work from there. Gently press the ornament into the seed until it is completed covered.



Step 5:

Hang from tree for the birds to enjoy!



Voila! A fun activity that will keep your kids busy for a little while during those long days of Christmas break!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cute idea Holly. Your going to have some happy birds!

Dena Rooney-Berg (SugarShop) said...

Oooh that's a good one Holly, you rock. :)

Mel G said...

What fun!!! I betcha the squirrels around here would LOVE them!! Off to find my cookie cutters!!

mushroommeadows said...

wow! wow! wow!!! What an adorable project!!!

Jocelyn said...

What a grat idea~ I feed my little friends all year and the boys and I will be making these over the holiday break!!!! Have a great one!

Michelle said...

So cute. Love this!

dani said...

aw! this is such a great project!!

A Soldier Girl said...

SUPAH LOVELY IDEA...that is just too creative boo bear ..

Happy Holidays sweets

Sasha

Dana said...

Hey do you have to be a kid cause that looks like a lot of fun for me!!! Love your ideas as usual friend! :)

Jennifer Yates said...

Awesome and easy idea! I'm doing this with the kiddos this week! Thanks! :))

Shelley said...

holly holly! I have to TOTALLY thank you for this idea!!! my mom has just moved here and is now my full time nanny and i have been trying to come up with EASY, low effor ton the nanny part - type activities... and this one - was a HIT! I will certainly post pics on the blog when we're done and they are hanging outside! THANKS GIRL!!!!

Sasha Farina said...

that is so clever!!!