So, how about some layouts from the gorgeous February Label Tulip kit? This month, we decided to keep it simple with one main kit and no add-ons. That way, everyone has a chance to use up their stash and clear some room for all of the new CHA goodies that will start arriving next month! *wink, wink* There might even be a little project kit that I've worked up for your crafting pleasure. So, keep your eyes peeled in the future for that. *nudge, nudge*
Anyway, in the absence of pools of product I'm usually swimming in from the add-ons, it gave me an opportunity to play with some mediums and techniques that were either new to me, or I hadn't used in a really long time. For instance, this page...
With Dina Wakley as our guest designer this month, who wouldn't be inspired to try their hand at some spray inks? I've had these things in my crafting arsenal forever, but was a little too timid to use them. This month, I figured I'd give it a go. And, I added my own little unique glittering technique to boot.
Unfortunately, this page didn't photograph as beautifully as it looks in person. For one thing, the snowflake sequins sewn around the edge aren't black in real life. They are more of an iridescent blue-grey. And, from the photo, you can't really notice the fine detail of the glittering technique, but I'll explain it anyway.
First, you place the vine-shaped piece of chipboard from this 7Gypsies package onto a piece of plain-colored cardstock...
I ran the chipboard shape through my Xryon with a repositionable adhesive cartridge. Once it is on the page, apply a light coating of spray adhesive over the chipboard. Working quickly, before the adhesive dries, lightly sprinkle some antique silver glass glitter. Now, if all you want to do is the glittering technique, you can go ahead and remove the chipboard shape from the paper. You'll be left with a gorgeous vine design in the negative space surrounded by beautiful glitter. But, I went ahead and left the chipboard shape in place while I sprayed some brown and turquoise spray inks over the top. Then, I removed the vine. I also rubbed the edges of the cardstock with some turquoise pigment ink and brown glitter gel before I stamped around the edges with the Label Tulip exclusive bubble wrap stamp from last month's kit. Lots of fun techniques!
I have been dying to get my hands on these Amy Butler butterfly die cut sheets from K & Company for quite some time now. They were lots of fun to play with... both the butterfly dies themselves, and the negative space left behind. Both were used for my layout, "Butterfly Kisses."
And, look... there's that vine again! This time, the actual piece of chipboard. I didn't do anything to it. This is just what it looked like when I pulled it off the other page after it was sprinkled with glitter and spray inks.
A touch of spray inks on this page too...
I've been digging through all of my older photos, trying to get them scrapped. I took this picture of Hazel when she was a little over a year old. I've always loved the photo, but had a hard time finding the right stuff to scrap it with. I think this worked out perfectly! I can't believe how much she has changed and grown over the years! This was also my interpretation of the member gallery lift for this month.
Our challenge at LT this month was to make a card. Any card. Any theme. Any size. I thought it would be a nice challenge for a month that we were a little light on product. This was my contribution.
For the technique on the wings... Start with the chipboard wings from that same set of 7Gypsies shapes that the vine came from. Using the direct-to-paper technique, pounce on the wings with your choice of colored pigment ink pad. Heat-set the ink with an embossing gun. Once the ink is dry, apply a crackle glaze (available at Michael's) over the top of the chipboard according to package instructions; allow to dry. Once dry and cracks have formed, use Q-tips to apply some metallic pigment cream over the wing. The cream will fill in the cracks created by the glaze. Once the cracks are entirely filled, wipe the excess pigment cream from the top of the shape. Finally, apply some silver Stickles to the edges of the wings with your fingertip.; allow to dry. I even added some extra dimension to the card by stuffing some PolyFill behind the paper heart as I sewed it to the card.
This month was full of great experimental fun. I relished in old techniques that I had long forgotten, and ever dabbled in some new stuff. I hope it inspires you to do the same! Happy Monday!