Monday, September 22, 2008

Hunting Mr. Bumbles and other fall adventures...

It certainly is starting to feel more like fall around here! It cooled off a lot this weekend and, in fact, we were finally able to play outside with the kids without breaking into a sweat. It was lovely. I'm not sure anyone enjoyed it as much as Sake, though. She's forever chasing bugs around the yard. It's usually grasshoppers or moths...the occasional trail of ants. So, we really didn't think much of it when we looked over and saw something like this...

Upon closer inspection, we realized what she was chasing was actually one of these...

Wait. Let's look a little closer...

Yup. That's a bee alright. We dubbed him "Mr. Bumbles." I'm guessing he lost his stinger, and was crawling around the ground near death. If Mr Bumbles wasn't already knocking on heaven's door, I'm sure he was probably praying for death after Sake got done swatting him, stomping on him, and even attempting to eat him. No matter how many times we tried to get her away from Mr. Bumbles or vice versa, there she was...right back at it. Finally, Bryan squished Mr. Bumbles out of his misery. I'm sure somewhere up in bumble bee heaven, Mr. Bumbles is looking down thanking Bryan for putting an end to the torture. Poor Sake, though. You should have seen her once she realized her friend was nothing more than a pile of bug guts amongst the grass. Pitiful.

Other signs of fall around the Hanks household...

* Warm mugs of apple cider in the morning. Wish there was an apple orchard nearby to make a weekend trip to.
* Bought some really cool Halloween decorations from Target.
* Lots of planning for our big Halloween party.
* A Halloween banner has reached its completion:

I even managed to sneak in some spooky fabric flowers:

You can view the whole banner all up-close and personal-like here.
* I'm elbow-deep in more Halloween crafts to share later.
* The bluebirds are back in my yard. I spied one this morning. Need to get a telephoto lens stat.

So, how is fall shaping up in your neck of the woods?

**I am WAY behind on blog reading and e-mails...again. It was crazy-busy while Bryan was at school, and after he got home we just enjoyed some quality family time. But, I'll be catching up soon. I think I'll make that my project to tackle tonight after the kids go to bed. See you then!**

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Love the banner Holly... it's gorgeous! Yum, yum, yum!!! And that pic of Sake with the bee... too cute. Moose eats spiders its too gross!

michele g. said...

That banner really turned out cute. Great job!!

XO
M

~just me said...

ooh i was worried that sake got stung right in the face! glad mr bumbles had lost his stinger. that sake sure is a cutie!
~k

Melonie said...

That banner is so cute Holly! Love the pics of Sake. Our bully chases bugs too. Deathly afraid of ladybugs of all things. Hey if you stop by my blog can you check out the post before today's to see some pics of Marlee's room/finished flea market project? I think you will like the color:) Hope you have a beautiful week full of that perfect weather.

scrappermimi said...

OH MY! How totally cute Sake is and what great shots!

Love that fun banner!

lizzy said...

Sake is such a little cutie! I love your Halloween stuff. So fun! :)

metrochic said...

i already told you this but that banner makes me all swoony. you've inspired me to try and make a birthday one for my girl! yay!

Unknown said...

i looove your halloween banner!! That poor little bee, so sad that sake lost his friend :( lol! That pic gives me the creeps too though, i hate bees!
good luck catching up on your blog reading, it's okay, im wayyy behind too!

Dana said...

OH my! Mr Bumbles is the cutest bee i have ever seen!!!

Sara Berry said...

Dude, that banner rocks. but then again all your stuff rocks!

Aimee Ann said...

ahhh, its so gorgeous here! trees are turning, grass is crunchy in the morning, its time put the tea-kettle on, clean the scraproom, and stay indoors on the weekends. i'm gearing up to make home-made appleauce, pulling out the breadmaker, and dusting off my favorite crock-pot and stew recipes.

COMFORT FOOD :)

happy fall

xoxo,
aimee

KhrisW said...

Hey there! OMG, loved the pictures of Sake!!! Mr. Bumbles... very funny, Holly!

Your decorations are wonderful. Love your banner!

Mel G said...

Love the banner!!! And I just love the stories you tell about that sweetie pie Sake. It's starting to cool down here. Having the windows open and a fresh cool breeze blowing is awesome. Well, except the fact that we are right off I-66 and the air isn't so "fresh" but still... hehe

KhrisW said...

Hey, just wanted to let you know I've been looking at your pictures of Sake again. They're wonderful, Holly.

Kristi said...

RIP Mr. Bumbles!

murielle87 said...

hello, Holly i love your banner very much.

Gigi said...

omg your pup is so adorable!

& holy moly! that banner is gorgeous!! you have me wanting to do another one now...& those fabric flowers will be a definite on it :)

oh & btw...you are always welcome to come up & pick apples...we've got orchards galore around here :)

xoxo

g