That seems to be my life's little slogan these days. It's the holidays. Usually, I am in a Christmas crafting frenzy by this time. So, what's the deal with this year? Meh. It's not that I don't have ideas. It's not that I haven't been busier than a one-armed paper hanger (where did that phrase come from, anyway?). It certainly isn't for lack of trying. Things just don't seem to be coming together the way that they should.
It will be December in a few short days, and I have yet to even start making my Christmas cards. I don't even have any design in mind. And, I'll let you in on a little secret. Shhhhhh... come closer. Just a little closer... I don't want anyone else to hear this. I might actually send out *gasp* BOXED cards this year! I know. Shameful, isn't it? Of course I'll make a couple handmade ones for my mom, my bestie, and a couple of crafty buddies (actually, I'll probably pull from the pile of cards I've made for some DT obligations). But, they rest of you... if you're out there... you'll all be getting the Target specials. I make no apologies. Most of you probably just end up chucking my glittery hard work in the circular file at the end of the holidays anyway.
I've purchased Santa hats for the kids (and reindeer antlers for the dog... sorry, Sake) in hopes of snapping some photos to stuff in those cards. No studio shots this year. Not in the budget. If I manage to escape from the "better late than never" curse that is hiding in every little corner of my world, I might actually get some of the photos printed from tinyprints.com. Maybe not.
So, by this time, I imagine you're thinking, "Get on with it lady! Where's they eye candy?" Oh. You actually come here planning to see something crafty? I see. I see. I have one page to share. That's it. One. Uno. Eins.
A LO I made for the current challenge at So Tell Me Your Story. "Scrap what you're thankful for" seems to be a popular theme for challenges this time of year. I know it was what I chose for November's LT challenge this month. Original, right? And, in attempt to be a little more introspective on the theme, I created this page. (Plus, I had already scrapped about how thankful I am for my fam in the LT challenge). I'm not going to go into the whole story behind this layout. Not here. But, I'll just say that as far as relationships go (not of the marital sort, mind you), it was time to let go of a couple that were more of the painful variety. And, I'm thankful that I finally reached inside, and found the strength to walk away. I tend to make excuses for people when they hurt me. Way too many excuses. Time to shake free of that. Life is too short. Sometimes, you just run out of excuses. Sometimes, things are just unforgivable. Sometimes, you just. have. to. let. go. Even if it hurts a little. Or a lot. And, that's all she had to say about that.
And, sticking with the whole "better late than never theme," how about some Friday fill-ins. I know. I know. It's Monday... not Friday. And, yes, I know everyone else is doing it. But, it's a fun way to let a little bit more of myself peek out from the cracks. And, I was missing blogging even when I didn't have something crafty to share. So, here we go. Friday fill-ins on a Monday morn...
1. The last band I saw live was Dave Matthews Band. Sad. I used to go see them every year. Last time I went? 2005. Sad. Just sad.
2. What I look forward to most on Thanksgiving is food, family, champagne, and did I mention food?
3. My Christmas shopping is a work in progress. I'm usually done by Thanksgiving. As for this year, please refer to the title of this post.
4. Thoughts of chores fill my head. Again, sad. There is SO MUCH to do before my dad and Carol get here on Wed!
5. I wish I could wear half of what's in my closet. I've gained a little weight. Just enough to make things fit a little too snug. And, I've got some pieces in need of some serious repair that are hidden in there. Guess I should break out the sewing kit... and my elliptical machine.
6. Bagpipes. My cousin and uncle play the bagpipes. And, they play them well... even marched with their Scottish band at Dollywood. How many of you can say that? LOL!
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to _____, tomorrow my plans include _____ and Sunday, I want to _____! Okay, it's Monday. The weekend is over. So, let's rephrase this. Tonight I'm looking forward to nothing. Believe it or not, I do not enjoy the frantic cleaning that occurs before Thanksgiving and a visit from the 'rents. And, did I mention that, in the middle of said cleaning, I have to get Hazel all the way across town to cheerleading practice? Today does not look to be much fun. Tomorrow my plans include cleaning, cooking, more cleaning. And, Wednesday I want to have most of my cooking prep done, and start working with some top-secret product that was sent my way! I'll be back to share some of those goodies soon. Promise. Promise.