Monday, May 12, 2008

About a week ago...

we were celebrating May Day at the local botanical gardens. Hazel rode a horse:

There were pony rides available. Or, should I say, there was a pony to ride on...and a horse. Most of the kids were terrified to get on the horse, and had managed to stack up quite a line waiting to get on the one lowly pony. But, not my little girl. She jumped right in front of kids that were twice her size, and got on the big horse. I was so proud of her...until she informed me that she didn't want to do cheerleading anymore, but would rather show horses instead. Of course she does. Let's pick the most expensive hobby, and go with that. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be trading our set of pom-poms for a set of reigns anytime soon. After we giddyup-ed, we headed on over for a run around the May pole...

And, amazingly, amongst this gaggle of girls...

Hazel managed not to get completely tangled up in the ribbons OR fall squarely on her rump! After all that running around, it was time to refresh ourselves with an order of hot dogs and soda all around...


Once our bellies were full, we headed over to the little make-and-take booth where Hazel made her own beautiful flower basket (with a little help, of course)...

She was so proud of her bloomin' treat...

And, we rounded out the day with a stop at the reptile education center. Luka was a little hesitant, and suspicious of this slithery little guy...

But, Miss Big Brave Girl decided that she would like to see one of those guys up close and personal, and actually held one for a little while.

Then, I came and had every intention to blog these photos no later than last Monday. Of course, as luck would have it, I started to feel a little scratchy in my throat while I was making dinner that night. At first, I chalked it up to irritation from all the drainage from my never-ending allergies. By the time I went to bed that night, my temp was at 100 degrees. The following morning, I couldn't breathe out of wither nostril, and my fever was up to 102. Sweet. I just wanted to crawl in bed, and stay there. But, no...Bryan had to work, so I was left to my own devices with the kids. Then Luka got sick with the same thing that night. Hazel was soon to follow. I spent the better half of last week hopped up on NyQuil, pouring Gatorade down my throat, and eating the most Top Ramen noodles I have dared to allow past these lips since my starving art student days. I FINALLY started to feel better this last weekend, but am still left with an incredibly runny nose, and a little boy in about the same boat as myself. The good news is, I was able to relax a little, and get some scrapbooking done with the latest Label Tulip kit. So, I should be back with some sneaks tomorrow. I know I say this EVERY month, but I swear...this is the best kit YET! Hope everyone had a fabulous weekend, AND Mother's Day!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohh an actual may pole, how much fun is that! makes me want to be 4 again =0)

yes she is your big brave girl! i can't believe she wanted to hold the snake! ekk. no thank you!

luka is getting sooo big! looks like everyone had fun. very cute flower basket you helped her with mrs hot mama with the rockin star tats =0)

miss you!
~k

KhrisW said...

Hey! You're back! Lovely!

Hazel and Luka are sooo cute! The picture of your daughter with the snake was cool, loved the art on her cheek....

Ramen noodles. Yes, art supplies are expensive. I ate bagels as well as the noodles.

I hope your son feels better soon! Glad you're back!

KhrisW said...

That is to say that I remember eating the bagels, not the noodles-as much.

I haven't forgotten my student loan payments. Good grief. I wish I could forget about them. : )

Unknown said...

How neat!!! I love all the pics and that may pole is awesome!Cant wait to see your creations!

mushroommeadows said...

Wow, Hazel is fearless!!! :D

Such cute photos! It looks like you guys had a blast. I especially like the flower bouquet that Hazel made. So adorable...that picture! :D

Oh, I still want to do the swap...for sure! I'm just finishing up my last final, and then I'll start the project. I'll keep you posted. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a good May Day. Way to go Hazel, she is just going to take life by the horns isn't she? Got to love that. Hope you all are feeling better.

dani said...

darling darling photos - so cool you have a such a brave little girl!

AND omigosh, I'm in love with your shoulder tattoo!

I've emailed you!
and thanks for the all the comments and the concern about my blog absence - it's been a really rough few weeks, and I've had to do some really hard things BUT I'm feeling really good and a lot better, so *sigh* I'm getting back to blogging and creativity and LIFE!

danijohnston.typepad.com/dj